Clinton County Forest Lands and Natural Areas
What makes Clinton County an important part of the Pennsylvania Wilds Region is the parts of six state forests it contains. State forest visitors can find a whole host of recreational activities on Pennsylvania's 2.2 million-acre state forest system. Some of the most common activities include scenic driving, hunting, camping, hiking and nature watching. Others include hang gliding, and kayaking.
Elk State Forest derives its name from the great numbers of elk that once thrived in the area. Located in Elk, Cameron, and Clinton counties, it comprises 200,000 acres of northern hardwood forest. Today, visitors can once again see elk in the meadows and openings scattered throughout the state forest. The old-forest in the Elk District consisted of magnificent white pine, hemlock, some red pine, mixed oaks and northern hardwoods, which included beech, sugar maple, birch, American chestnut, and black cherry. The first timber removed from the district was the white pine which was used for ship masts.
Click here for the Elk State Forest Map
Elk District Office
258 Sizerville Road
Emporium, PA 15834
The Sproul State Forest was named in memory of William C. Sproul Governor of Pennsylvania from 1919 to 1923. Governor Sproul was best known for expansion of the public education system in Pennsylvania. Sproul State Forest is located in north-central Pennsylvania, primarily in western Clinton and northern Centre counties. The largest in the state forest system, Sproul covers 305,450 acres, or slightly more than 476 square miles. It features steep and rugged hillsides cut by the West Branch of the Susquehanna and its tributaries.
Click here for the Sproul State Forest Map
Sproul District Office
15187 Renovo Road
Renovo, PA 17764
Bald Eagle State Forest, named for the famous Native American, Chief Bald Eagle, includes 193,424 acres in Snyder, Union, Centre, Mifflin, and Clinton counties. It spans across the high, sharp ridges of central Pennsylvania and features miles pristine mountain streams and numerous tracts of old growth forest. Bald Eagle forest district lies in the beautiful ridge and valley section of the state, the forest district is dominated by a series of sandstone ridges some of which reach heights of 2,300 feet above sea level.
Click here for the Bald Eagle Forest Map
Bald Eagle District Office
18865 Old Turnpike Road
Millmont, PA 17845
Tiadaghton State Forest is comprised of 215,500 acres mostly in Lycoming County. Other tracts extend into Tioga, Sullivan, Potter, Clinton, and Union counties. The Tiadaghton forest features high-country flats bisected by clean, fast-moving mountain streams, including the legendary Pine Creek and Slate Run. Tiadaghton (pronounced: ty-a-dot-un) was the name the Iroquois gave to Pine Creek, the largest tributary of the West Branch of the Susquehanna River. The exact meaning of Tiadaghton is a mystery that may be locked forever in the folklore of the Iroquois Indians.
Click here for the Tiadaghton State Forest Map
Tiadaghton District Office
10 Lower Pine Bottom Road
Waterville, PA 17776
Moshannon State Forest derives its name from “Moss-hanne,” or "moose stream," the Native American description of the waterway that runs through the area. The forest totals 190,012 acres on the Allegheny Plateau. It lies primarily in Clearfield, Elk, and Centre counties with small tracts in Cameron and Clinton counties. All this "virgin" timber was removed between 1860 and 1921. The high pine stumps, logging railroad tie marks, log-slides and remnants of splash dams are all that remain to remind us of this earlier time.
Click here for Moshannon State Forest Map
Moshannon District Office
3372 State Park Road
Penfield, PA 15849
Susquehannock State Forest derives its name from the Susquehannock tribe that once inhabited the region. It comprises 265,000 acres in Potter, Clinton and McKean counties. The forest grows some of the most productive stands of black cherry trees in the world. In 1901 the first tract of what was to become the Susquehannock State Forest was purchased. The original forest was cut over from the late 1800's through the 1920's. During the 1930's the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) established ten camps on the forest.
Click here for Susquehannock State Forest Map
Susquehannock District Office
P.O. Box 673
Coudersport, PA 16915